One of the most difficult tasks I had to go through was selecting a breastpump. Since breastpumps are relatively expensive, you want to invest in one which you can rely on. As a first time mom who is new to breastfeeding, I had no idea what to get. Of course, my friends shared notes with me, I read a lot of reviews and studied the functions of each breastpump. In Malaysia, the top brands for breastpumps include Philips Avent, Medela, Ameda, Spectra 3, MAM, The First Years, and the list goes on.
What you really should consider before making a decision is:
- Your budget – breastpumps can be expensive. You really should consider how much you are willing to spend.
- Automatic or Manual – this was really subjective. I collected details from a lot of my friends, some who preferred the manual pump because they were more in control, and some who say “don’t bother – get the automatic pump cause it can get tiring”.
- Will you be pumping at work or pumping at home, and how long do you intend to breastfeed – If you are working, a dual pump will be more efficient. A SAHM like myself, a single pump will suffice as my baby empties one side while I express the other.
- Brands – I watched all the videos posted by Philips Avent, Medela and Ameda, and read their reviews on Amazon before I made a decision.
I chose to go with Ameda Lactaline Dual Breastpump. This is known as Ameda Purely Yours in the States. I purchased this at Babyland for RM799.20 (also available at mybbstore at the same price). This purchase came with a complimentary box of Tommee Tippee disposable breastpads which came in handy during the early days when I did not have enough breastpads at my dispense. You can also read the reviews and purchase this breastpump via Amazon.
The main features that drew me to the Ameda Lactaline breastpump are:
- It’s neat! The Proven Airlock Protection whereby air does not come in contact with your milk (and like they say, milk stays purely yours) made me favour it. Since milk does not get into the tubes, it does not promote mold growth.
- The second reason was that it is really easy to clean! You only clean the flange after pumping!
- I bought 10 Bumble Bee storage bottles because the breastpump only came with two storage bottles. They fit perfectly and are easy to clean and sterilise.